Nov 30, 2005

Shepherds Pie

I have always wanted to try making shepherd's Pie but tonight was my first attempt. I must say it was delicious! I perused quite a few recipes on-line and came up with my own recipe based on what I found, which my family really enjoyed.

On another note, I am so excited today! My husband bought me a digital camera which is scheduled to arrive from amazon.com any day now. I'm so excited that I will be able so share photos of all my creations with you. Stay tuned....

Shepherds Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced thin
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
3 carrots, peeled, sliced and cooked
1 can cut green beans, drained
1 tsp. Penzey's Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 c. water
1/2 tsp browning liquid
3/4 tsp. Penzey's Beef Soup Base
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. Penzey's Taosted Minced Onion
Instant Mashed Potatoes (8 servings, prepared according to package directions)
1/2 c. Shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef along with onion, celery and parsley; drain. Put ground beef beef mixture into a 9 x 13 in. pan. Stir in carrots and green beans. Set aside.

In a small sauce pan, combine water and corn starch, mix until dissolved without heating. Turn heat on medium-high and add beef soup base and toasted onions, turn heat to high. Whisk constantly until thickened. Pour over ground beef mixture.

Spread mashed potatoes over ground beef mixture. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Dawna said...

That looks great, Michele! I see that you and I use similar methods of recipe-triage - scouring the internet and other resources, examining the common points of recipes, and devising our own at the end of the day.

Michele said...

Dawna, yes that is exactly what I do! I've always cooked that way, never could stick to a recipe and often times once I make something if I don't write it down it will be forgotten forever... drives my husband crazy, LOL!