Nov 13, 2005

Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

Sweet potato pie has been on my mind since I started planning my Thanksgiving menu a few days ago. The recipe I enjoy most is Sweet Potato Pecan Pie. I created this recipe to try to duplicate the pie that my grandfather made for Thanksgiving when I was a kid.

Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (you can use canned yams)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt mix well. Sprinkle pecans into pie shell. Pour batter into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until pie tests done. Cool then store in refrigerator.

Note: If the crust seems to be browning too quickly, remove it from the oven and lightly cover the crust with foil (just around the edge to cover the crust, do not cover the center of the pie) then return to oven to finish baking.

2 comments:

domestika said...

DH is reading over my shoulder and... why yes, I believe he may actually be drooling! Okey-dokey, I guess it'll be sweet-potato pie for dessert tonight! Looks really good, Michelle.

Michele said...

Glad your husband enjoyed the recipe, let me know how you like it! :)