Nov 10, 2005

Apricot Chicken

I created this recipe a couple years ago when I was given some canned apricots. I knew my kids wouldn't eat them as is so I put them to a better use. This is very good served with rice or noodles.

Apricot Chicken


1 can apricots (make sure to peel them, they still have the peels onion the can)
1/2 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. Chinese 5 Spice Powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey

Drain the apricots (save the juice) and peel them, put them in a mini food processor and puree them. Pour the puree in a bowl and whisk the juice back in. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well. Pour over chicken and marinade then bake or put chicken in crock pot and pour marinade over it over the chicken and cook until done.

3 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

So curious -- would think the skins would just puree away. What's wrong with leaving them on? Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe like this. It calls for a packet of onion soup mix and a can of apricot juice to bake the chicken in and then you add canned apricot halves for the last 5 minutes of cooking. I serve it with that yellow (probably saffron) rice you can buy in packs at the supermarket. Not exactly budget, but tasty!

I think I'll try combining the two recipes the next time I make it.

Michele said...

I'm sure you can leave the skins on, I just like an extremely smooth texture to my sauce to I peel them.