Nov 5, 2005

Arroz Dulce - Mexican Rice Pudding

I absolutly love rice pudding... it's so warm and comforting. The recipe I grew up eating is called Arroz Dulce. It's a Mexican style rice pudding that has no eggs in it and it's prepared on the stove top. It simple and very good. Here is my recipe.

Arroz Dulce

2 c. medium grain rice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
½ c. raisins
1/4 tsp salt
14 oz. can evaporated milk
½ c. whole or 2 % milk
Sugar, to taste (about 1/2 c. to 1 c.)

Cook the rice according to package directions with the cinnamon added to the cooking water. Soak the raisins in boiling water with the vanilla added then drain. When the rice is done, mix the salt and canned milk and whole or 2% milk in. Stir in the raisins. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele--

I love rice pudding too--even though it breaks my "desserts must always contain chocolate" rule. Alas, I've never tried to make it, but I should soon. Thanks for the recipe!

Michele said...

Lisa, you could always shave some chocolate on top of the rice pudding, I think that would tast wonderful! Let me know if you try it, I think you will like it :)

Anonymous said...

DJ said....

Absolutely delicious! So easy to make. I will never pay the expensive price for pre-made when I can make the best for a whole lot less. Thanks!

Michele said...

Thanks DJ, we love it as well!

Anonymous said...

I am a mexican girl from texas and sadly I don't know how to make rice pudding, my daughter needed it for a school project so I googled it and this was the closest to my moms advice, it came out very good and tasted very good, very authentic...thanks so much!