Nov 21, 2005

Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes

I love scalloped potatoes during the cooler weather. I am planning to make this dish next week as a side dish for our leftover turkey.

Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp butter
1 can cream soup of your choice
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Grease crock pot then add (in layers): potatoes, onions, salt and pepper. On top add butter and soup. Cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before done cooking, remove lid, sprinkle with cheese then replace cover and allow to finish cooking.

NOTE: to make this dish into a main meal, incorporate layers of thinly sliced bell pepper and thinly sliced smoked sausage or other meat of your choice.

11 comments:

*** said...

This sounds soooo good. Think I'll make meal out of it one workday this week.

Thanks!

Michele said...

Kristy, I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds very yummy, but I have been all over looking for a basic scalloped potato recipe for the crock pot, and everyone has cheese, my understanding was that scalloped potatos with cheese were au gratin, and with just the milk was scalloped. I am going to bookmark your site though, it was the easiest to navigate of all the ones I have seen so far!

Anonymous said...

I thought the cheese was augratin too! I am looking for some way to try this with any option than with soup. It seems all the soups have msg in them, and I get migraines that last 3 or more days when I eat msg.

Michele said...

To make this recipe without a cream soup, try making a homemade white sauce flavored with a little chicken boullion. You can find many recipes for these types of sauces online. I have a recipe for a homemade cream soup mix here - http://chefmichele.blogspot.com/2005/10/tips-for-frugal-kitchen.html

Anonymous said...

do the potatoes get mushy

Michele said...

No, never once have they gotten mushy. They always turn out awesome! I always use regular russet potatoes.

michele said...

Absolutely amazing! So quick, so easy...so much more simple than the traditional layering of flour and milk for oven cooking! I used golden potatoes and it turned out great! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

warning: commercial bouillon probably has msg.

I use the water from boiled potatoes to make my white sauce.

Anonymous said...

what size crock pot did you use? I have a 6 quart crock pot and didnt know if that would work. thanks.

Michele said...

I used a 5 quart but I think a 6 quart would work just fine.