Nov 22, 2005

Holiday Baking

Today I finally got started on my holiday baking. My husband works on Thanksgiving and there will be a potluck there so I made 2 loaves of Banana Spice bread from my Easy Banana Bread recipe, using spice cake mix and vanilla pudding. In two weeks we have our monthly homeschool meeting so I made a German Apple Cake from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. Although the cake is now in the freezer and we won't be cutting it until the day of our meeting, I can tell you from the sample I had from the wonderful little bits that flaked off, it is DELICIOUS! I also baked two pans of corn bread -- one for my turkey stuffing and a second to go with the pinto beans I am cooking tomorrow night. I think I'm going to call it a day... we have plenty of leftovers for dinner and I'm tired! Here's the recipe for German Apple Cake...

German Apple Cake - adapted from allrecipes.com

2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground mace
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups apples - peeled, cored and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch cake pan. In a mixing bowl; beat oil and eggs with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well. Combine the flour salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cake cool on a wire rack. Once cake is cool serve with a dusting of confectioners' sugar or with a Cream Cheese Frosting.

No comments: