Nov 4, 2005

Homemade English Muffins

(updated info)

Since I first posted this recipe I have made theese muffins, taken photos of the muffins, and also tweaked the recipe a bit. I edited the recipe with my updated version.




I was just surfing through some of my favorite food related blogs and found the most delicious looking picture of homemade English Muffins on Nosheteria. That picture sent me in search of a recipe. I can't wait to make these! I think today I will do a cooking project with my girls and we can make them together. The only problem is I ruied out toaster (don't laugh but I dropped butter inside one of the slots while it was still hot). Oh well... we'll just have to improvise and toast them in a hot skillet! :)

I found this recipe on About.com.

Homemade English Muffins

(my version of the recipe)

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cup milk, warm
3 tbsp butter or margarine (I melt it in the milk.)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten ( optional, I beat in the warmed milk and melted butter.)
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

PREPARATION: This dough can be done in a bread maker... otherwise... Place ingredients in bowl and mix together. Knead in the extra flour until it's not very sticky. Allow to rise until double in bulk. Roll dough out onto cornmeal covered surface. Cut out dough into circles (whatever size you want). Cover and let rise about 30 minutes.

Heat frying pan (or griddle) to medium heat. Place muffing cornmeal side down. Cook about 10 minutes on each side. Split with a fork and use your choice of toppings. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got a new cookbook that has a homemade English muffins recipe in it and I've marked it to try. They're grilled in a pan. Hubby loves them for breakfast, so if they're good, I might have just created a LOT of work for myself. LOL

Michele said...

Uh oh! I have a feeling I will have many requests to make these again too :)