Mar 8, 2006

Whole Wheat Tortillas


I absolutly love the tortilla baker I posted the other, it is amazing! I made a dozen whole wheat tortillas in about 10 minutes. How cool is that! It did take some practice on how to get them the proper thickness but I think I have the hang of it now and plan to make more soon. And the cool thing about this recipe is you don't need a tortilla baker to make them, you can make them on a griddle or even a nice heavy skillet would work as well. Here's the recipe.

Pipin' Hot Bakery Whole Wheat Tortillas

(From Recipe*zaar.com)

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons canola oil
2/3 cup water

1. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
2. Stir in the water all at once, using mixer or a fork, and toss quickly.
3. When dough can be gathered into a soft mass, turn onto floured surface and knead a few times.
4. Form 8 balls of dough, dredge in flour, and store in a plastic bag to prevent drying until ready to be used.
5. Flatten first ball of dough into a disk.
6. Roll out dough on floured surface until 7 inches or larger with even strokes that do not reach to the edge, turning over frequently.
7. Place tortilla in ungreased, frying pan that has been preheated to medium-high heat.
8. Cook 30-40 seconds on one side, turn over with spatula and cook 30-40 seconds on other side., First side should be pale and sprinkled with brown spots and the other side will be blotched.
9. Repeat process with other balls of dough.
10. Stack tortillas on a plate as they are cooked and cover them with a dish towel, which will keep them soft.

8 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Making tortillas!! I am impressed.

Michele said...

Kalyn, it is so much fun, you should give it a try!

Joe said...

Cool! Tortilla making does sound fun!

Fiber said...

I might need to get myself a tortilla baker. When we lived in Kenya, we couldn't get them, so we made them all by hand (rolling them out, etc).
This would take me back, but be a lot easier!!

Dawna said...

I keep meaning to make my own tortillas - Molly has a great post on it over at Orangette (in the archives). I do make my own pita pockets, so why not tortillas? I'm sure they're better than the packet version. I like the fact that you used half whole wheat flour.

Michele said...

Joe, it really is fun and you use canola oil or trans fat free Crisco or other soil/shortning not to mentnion changing the type of flour or even add flax seed or flavorings.

Fiber, if you have a good cast iron skillet or griddle you can do them that way as well.

Dawna, when I grew up there were were lots of "Nanas" (grandmothers) in the neighborhood who made their own every day, the smell is just amazing as they cook. We used to buy ours from a neighborhood tortilla factory and they were always hot and fresh and delicious! My kids would live on tortillas if I let them :) The cooker I have can be used for flat breads too like pitas or naan.

CJ, they are great! So much more flavorful than the plain white flour ones.

Reika said...

Hmmm.....can't wait to try these! I love making peanut butter and jelly tortilla roll ups as a quick snack (spread the p.b. and jelly *thin* and roll up). However, just want to clarify, you mix in the oil at the same time as the water?

Michele said...

Mindy, you cut the oil in as you would with a pastry dough then add the water. Mix well and form the dough. It's very easy and I think you will enjoy them very much!