Mar 22, 2006

Beef and Broccoli

I have a copy of the Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook I bought some time ago and I've never made many recipes from it.  I really love this book because as I have read through it I see how healthy eating can help you lose weight.  I've never tried the weight watchers program but if I lose a few pounds from using their recipes, all the better!  This is one I modified from a recipe in the book, I added some extra vegetables because I had them leftover from the other night but normally I would use just broccoli.  This dish is very flavorful as well as good for you!


Beef and Broccoli


(adapted from Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook)


2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar


2 Tbsp. soy sauce


1/2 tsp. ground ginger


1 tsp. garlic powder


1 tsp. toasted sesame oil


1 Tbsp. brown sugar


dash red pepper flakes


1 lb. beef for stir fry (sirloin steak strips work well)


1 tsp. corn starch


1 Tbsp. canola oil


4 c. frozen broccoli


3 scallions, sliced


sesame seeds for serving



Combine first 7 ingredients in a large Ziploc bag then add beef and shake well.  Place Ziploc bag in refrigerator for at least one hour. 


Drain marinade into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 1/3 cup of liquid.  Add corn starch and stir well.


Heat oil in a large non-tick skillet or wok over high heat.  Add canola oil and beef., stir fry until beef loses it's red color.  Remove beef to a plate.  Add broccoli to pan and stir fry 3 minutes.  Add back beef and pour in marinade.  Stir fry until sauce thickens.  Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds and serve over brown rice.


Powered by Qumana


Tags: , , , , , ,


No comments: