Mar 20, 2006

Guest Blogger #14 - Serfronya Wallace

Please welcome Serfronya Wallace as my guest today. She's got a wonderful and delicious recipe to share.


-----------------------------------------


Universal Quick Fruit Crumble


1 cup graham cracker crumbs

½ cup brown sugar, packed

2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

1 Tbsp lemon juice

2 cups fresh fruit cored and sliced or

1 large can of fruit, drained


Combine the crumbs, sugar, butter, and lemon juice. Combine the mixture and fruit in a large bowl. Then toss gently. Bake in a buttered 8x8 inch dish at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.


This recipe makes 4 servings but you can easily double or triple it and bake it in a larger dish.


This is my 7 year old son’s favorite snack. He’d have it every day after school if I let him. He likes it because it tastes sweet. He has even tried to convince me that it counts as a serving of fruit so he should be able to have seconds.


Anyway, I enjoy it because it’s quick and frugal. And yes, I also like the fact that it’s sweet. (But don’t tell my son.) I also enjoy the versatility of this recipe. For the fruit you can use fresh or canned. I have used apple, peaches, and pears; all of which have yielded delicious results. Of course fresh fruit tends to be more economical than the canned. But I purchase the large cans of generic peach or pear halves and then slice them myself.


Like I said, this recipe is a bit on the sweet side. So you may want to adjust the brown sugar according to your tastes. Also, if you opt for the canned fruit then make sure to drain it well. You may want to go for the longer cooking time so that the canned fruit has time to “dry out.”


I prefer this treat served warm. But room temperature tastes good also. Either way, this snack tastes so delicious that you probably won’t have any leftovers to worry about refrigerating. My son always offers to “take care of” any leftovers for me.



Powered by Qumana

No comments: