Mar 3, 2006

Burrito Casserole

I made the Burrito Casserole I mentioned in my last list of menus today for dinner. It turned out really good. I've got the recipe for you today but first I have to show you the coolest gadget I just bought. My parents gave me a gift certificate for my birthday so of course I had to buy a new kitchen gadget. I decided to get a Tortilla Baker. The package arrived today and I am going to be trying it out tonight!


Here's the casserole recipe :)


Burrito Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1 tsp. Adobo seasoning
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small can green chilis, drained
1/2 bag frozen sweet corn
1 zucchini, diced and lightly steamed until tender
1 can black beans, drained
4 scallions, diced
1 lime
8 oz. cottage cheese, pureed in the blender
4 oz. shredded cheese
1 dozen corn tortillas

Brown ground beef with spices, set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread a spooonful of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. pan. Place 6 corn tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. Add 1/2 the ground beef, 1/2 of the remaining tomato sauce, 1/2 the can of green chilis, 1/2 of the corn, 1/2 the can of black beans, 1/2 of the scallions, half of the cottage cheese, 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 more minutes or until chees melts. Serve with lettuce and salsa.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like the idea of using pureed cottage cheese. It gives the dish a smooth look. And I won't have to explain to my 7 year old why there are "lumps" in his food. LOL

Darlaing said...

Burrito casserole?!!? Awesome! We just had Mexican food tonight too. Chorizo and Steak tacos!!

Thanks for the message on Messy Cucina! I've been meaning to tell you that I visit your blog just about everyday and love it. I always mean to leave comments but I do my blog surfing at work and for some strange reason, your blog, Paz's blog and Deetsa's blog all make my browser at work close after like 5 seconds, so I never have time to comment on what I see. And then i feel bad b/c you are so diligent about leaving sweet comments. So I blame it on work and our crappy non-Windows system. I mean seriously, I can't even download anything and I work for a newspaper. frustrating.

Anonymous said...

sounds good to me!!!

Michele said...

Serfronya, I love the pureed cottage cheese too, it has such a nice ecture when you process it in the blender. My kids really enjoy it. I love your blog! I deal with those same issues with my girls hair. I am going to get my 4 yo in braids soon so hopefully that will make it a little easier.

Michele said...

Darlamay, hey don't feel bad for not being able to leave comments! I totally understand. Just knowing that you all stop by and pay me a visit is good for me! Let me know if you try the casserole! Hey you need to do a guest spot for me on a Monday, your recipes are so awesome!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

How do you like that tortilla baker? A tortilla press is on my wish list. Do you think there's an advantage to getting something that cooks the tortillas?

Paula

Michele said...

Paula, I LOVE it! I'm going to post some pics this week of the tortillas. I think the advantage is it's just easier to be able to cook press and cook them right there and then.