Mar 12, 2006

Meatloaf Muffins

I don't usually post twice a day but these were so good I didn't want to save it for later. In honor of Meatloaf Madness I decided to try a recipe I saw recently in Cooking Light magazine. Of course, I can never stick to a recipe so this is my interpretation of the original. These are great for kids because they are individual portions and if one doesn't like ketchup on top, that's ok, you can make different kinds like I did...topped with BBQ sauce, cheese, a slice of bacon or leave some plain. Served up with Mashed Potatos, gravy and veggies it's the perfect All American meal :)


Meatloaf Muffins

3/4 lb. ground turkey
3/4 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. frozen chopped spinach
a squeeze of lemon juice
1 Tbsp. dried parsley (or 1/4 c. fresh)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
1 carrott, minced
1/2 c. Rice Krispies, crushed *
1/2 c. panko bread crumbs *
1 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. Lea and Perin's Worshteshire Sauce
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 egg whites
1 c. tomato sauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with clean hands. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Divide meat mixture between the 12 muffin sprayed cups. Top with your choice of toppings. Bake for 30 minutes. Once done, remove immediately to a plate so they don't soak up all the grease in the pan. (I used two forks to remove them).

*You could use any kind of bread or cracker crumbs or even crushed corn flakes or uncooked instant oatmeal instead.

4 comments:

Cate said...

Would never think to put Rice Krispies in meatloaf, but they look pretty yummy. :)

Hellin Heels said...

I use this technique anytime I make meatloaf. My recipe is nothing like this one though. I have a mini muffin pan that I use when making meatballs- it makes the process much faster!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I love making meat muffins. So much faster than making regular meatloaf.

Michele said...

Cate, it was totally on a whim that I tried the Rice Krispies and they worked out great!

SAHM I AM, I love the idea of a mini muffin pan for meatballs, I will have to try that!

Cookbook Junkie, yes it really is faster, I don't know that I will ever do a regular meatloaf again!