Mar 21, 2006

ARF Tuesday - Antioxidants Galore!

We're having pinto beans and collard greens tonight for dinner (mucho ARF's baby!) but for future ARF Tuesday refrence I thought I'd gather a list of foods that I could consider using in new recipes.

Sweetnicks has a list of the top 20 ARF's here but I know there must be more lurking out there somewhere so I Googled a bit and found a website called The Top 10 Antioxidant Foods with the following information:

Carrots - "Carrots are loaded with a potent antioxidant called beta-carotene, a member of the healing family of carotenoids."

Soy - "The enduring favorite of health-foods aficionados, soy can help prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, ward off osteoporosis and lessen the effects of menopause."

Whole Grains - "Vitamin E in grains is a potent antioxidant that plays a role in preventing cancer, especially prostate cancer."


Tea - "Tea has been shown to significantly reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke and other diseases."


Spinach - "Studies have shown that people who eat spinach are less likely to develop cataracts and macular degeneration, the two most common causes of vision loss."


Tomatoes - "Studies have shown that men who eat more tomatoes or tomato sauce have significantly lower rates of prostate cancer."


Garlic - "Studies have shown that garlic keeps the heart healthy by lowering cholesterol levels, reducing blood pressure, fighting free radicals and keeping blood from clotting."


Broccoli - "Cruciferous vegetables contain a compound called indole-3-carbinol (I3C - a potent antioxidant that breaks down estrogen in the body) that reduces the risk of breast cancer and other estrogen-sensitive cancers, like cancer of the ovaries and cervix. Other studies have shown that broccoli can help fight cervical dysplasia, a precancerous condition. Broccoli also contains other protective constituents like beta-carotene, which can help prevent cancer and heart disease."


Who knew eating healthy could be so tasty! Can't wait to sit down and come up with more ideas for future ARF Tuesdays!


Tags: , , , ,


Powered by Qumana

4 comments:

Darlaing said...

oh your list makes me happy! We eat most of those foods regularly. We're a lean mean cancer-fighting machine!

Dawna said...

I had quite a lot of braised carrots at lunchtime today, so I guess I'm on track with the antioxidant agenda! I'm also on a sprouted-wheat bread kick, which is full of whole grains and made without flour (the sprouted grains are ground, and wheat gluten is added to them). What surprised me the most was how much I like the flavour of the bread!

Michele said...

Darlamay, we do pretty good as well. Hubby and I have become very health conscious over the last year or so.

Dawna, I keep seeing that sprouted bread, I am going to have to try it!

Kalyn Denny said...

Great site, I hadn't seen that one.