Mar 24, 2006

Veggie Wontons


I've been craving wontons ever since I made the Butternut Squash Wontons a while back. I thought I'd make some that were more traditional this time. These were very good but I actually prefer the butternut squash ones better, they were more flavorful. to give these a boost I added a little rice wine vinegar and brown sugar to the Sesame Dipping Sauce. They were a hit with my 6 year old as well as myself.

Veggie Wontons

1 pkg. wonton skins
1/2 head of cabbage
1 carrot
1 clove garlic
2 scallions
1/4 tsp. ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Process cabbage, carrots and garlic in food processor. Remove processed veggies to a bowl and add ginger, salt and pepper. Stir well. Fill wontons and fold according to package directions then flash freeze on a cookie sheet for at least 30 minutes. Fry in hot vegetable or canola oil until golden brown, turn and fry on second side until golden. Drain on paper towels before serving.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question....what's the purpose of flash freezing these?
I made egg rolls a few weeks back and they were delicious but cooked very quickly and ended up being almost soggy. I'd prefer crispy without burning. So I was wondering if the flash freezing has anything to do with that?

BTW, I love your blog. I'm normally just a lurker but have gotten brave today, lol!

Tammy

Michele said...

Hi Tammy, I'm so glad you came out from lurking, I love to meet my visitors :)

Flash freezing just helps the wontons hold together better when you fry them and also it helps them not stick together if you store them in the freezer. They will get soggy if your oil is not hot enough because they fry too slowly and absorbe too much oil... I do mine on about medium high.

If the oil is too hot they will burn and if your filling is too wet they will be soggy as well. I would start on a high heat then turn it down to medium high and keep and eye on them they can burn quickly (egg rolls and wontons).

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michele. My oil was hot enough, maybe too hot and I bet my filling was too wet and thus the soggy egg rolls.
I will try them again though and I also plan to try crab rangoons(I think that's the right name)soon. I'll remember to check my oil temp. this time though so we have no burning!
Thanks again.

Tammy

Michele said...

Let me know how they turn out Tammy, glad I could help!

Sara said...

Michele they sound very good. I'm going to try these.

Michele said...

Sara, they are really good! My hubby liked them much more than the butternut squash ones I made last time.

Admin said...

Could bake these at all? I know they wouldn't come out crispy but I am trying to watch the fat.

Michele said...

I've never tried baking them but I would think it could work. I use canola oil to fry them and they really don't absorbe much oil because they fry really fast :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,
I love watching you cook, you make it all look so easy and mouth watering.
I'm having a 90th birthday party for my Mom at the end of August. It will be in a beautiful park setting.
I found a recipe to make mini wonton baskets but I do not have a cold mixture recipe to fill them with. Would you have any suggestions and what can I brush the cooked wontons with so they won't go soggy.
Thanks so much, have a scrumptious day.
Dianne:))