Mar 7, 2006

ARF Tuesday - African Chicken Stew

I hope I'm not breaking the rules today, but I just had to veer off of Sweetnik's list of the top 20 ARF's to add another favorite ARF for today's recipe. According to The World's Healthiest Foods,
"Sweet potatoes feature many antioxidants

When it comes to antioxidants, sweet potatoes may offer a bit of an advantage. Not only are they a more concentrated source of vitamin C, but they are an excellent source of vitamin A, in the form of beta-carotene (potatoes contain hardly any beta-carotene). The vitamin C and beta-carotene in the sweet potatoes work as powerful antioxidants to help to eliminate free radicals, molecules that damage cells and cell membranes and which are associated with the development of conditions such as colon cancer, atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease.

Yet, the antioxidant profile of sweet potatoes extends even further. Some of the proteins found in sweet potato, usually referred to as root storage proteins, have been found to have antioxidant activity. In fact, one of the compounds studied (an as yet to be named compound simply referred to as 33 kDa TI) has been shown to be about 1/3 as active as glutathione, one of the most active antioxidant compounds in the body."
Any boy do I LOVE sweet potatos! I know, a lot of people refer to them as "yams" but no matter the name they are delicious! Sweet potato pie, sweet potato muffins... anything to get that nice rich warm flavor. So when I saw a recipe for African Chicken Stew I knew I had to prepare it in honor of ARF Tuesdays. The recipe can be found in my latest newsletter which is located in the recipe archives. And if you aren't a newsletter subscriber yet, what are ya waiting for? Fill out the form at the top left of your screen. :)

3 comments:

Cate said...

LOL - I think you'll get a kick out of one of the other entries. ;) Great minds think alike. And remember, it doesn't have to be a Top 20 ARF to be included in the round-up. Any ARF, fruit and/or veggie will do. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds delish! Looking over the ingredients, it reminds me of a stew I'd eat in Africa called groundnut stew (here we use peanut butter instead of groundnuts). I've never had it with sweetpotatoes, which is a great idea! I'll have to try you recipe sometime soon. Thanks!

Paz

Michele said...

Paz, it really is good! Let me know how you like it.