May 19, 2006

Chicken With Artichokes, Zucchini and Tomatoes

A lonely can of artichokes has been staring at me from the back of my cabinet for some time now. I figured tonight I would improvise a recipe to make use of it. This is what I came up with and it turned out really good!


Chicken With Artichokes, Zucchini and Tomatoes

1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (15 oz.) can artichokes, drained and chopped
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 strips roasted red bell peppers (you can roast them yourself or buy the kind in the jar)
1 c. chicken broth
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar
salt
pepper
oregano
basil
red pepper flakes
parsley

In a 10 inch skillet, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until tender, remove from pan and keep warm. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes to your taste. Brown chicken on both sides in skillet them remove to a plate to keep warm. Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth and a splash of red wine vinegar for a couple of minutes. Add the zucchini, artichokes, tomatoes and red bell peppers. Allow to simmer until zucchini is tender. Add the chicken, onions and garlic back to the pan. Garnish with parsley. Allow to simmer 5 more minutes. Serve over linguini.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it counts as a kitchen appliance but I would have to say it is a tie between the microwave and electric can opener.

Darlaing said...

oh my goodness that looks good!

Susan said...

I was watching a cooking show by a chef from a local upscale restaurant the other day. He made a very similar dish. Instead of zucchini, he used fresh mushrooms and he used white wine instead of red wine vinegar. Either way, it sounds wonderful

Michele said...

Anonymous, we use our microwave a lot too, I totally forgot to add that to the list.

Darla, it was really good and I was surprised my hubby loved it, he's usually not into this type of meal that much.

Susan, mushrooms would have been great in this too, I love mushrooms!