Oct 28, 2005

Menus and Muffins

I just got through making up my menu list for the next two weeks… shopping day is Monday. My girls want to make muffins this afternoon. I love this recipe for applesauce muffins because it’s good for them and they love it. Here are my dinner menus and my muffin recipe.

Menus

Monday - hot dogs, baked beans, rice
Tuesday - spinach and beef lasagna (recipe will be posted later this week)
Wednesday – leftovers
Thursday – Chili, rice
Wednesday – leftovers
Thurdsay – Katsu Chicken, rice, cole slaw
Friday – pinto beans, rice, corn bread
Saturday - Birria (recipe will be posted later this week), Spanish rice, refried beans
Sunday – Leftovers
Monday – fish planks, French fries, corn on the cob
Tuesday – beef stew, biscuits
Wednesday – leftovers
Thurdsay – Great Northern beans, collard greens, corn bread
Friday – leftovers
Saturday – Teryaki Chicken, rice

Applesauce Muffins

½ c. sugar
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance)
2 eggs
2 c. flour (you can use 1 ½ c. white flour and ½ c. whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. mace (or nutmeg)
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ c. applesauce
¼ c. sour cream
2 Tbsp. ground flax seed (optional)

Cream butter and sugar by hand. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. In another bowl combine applesauce and sour cream. Add creamed mixture alternately with applesauce mixture. Mix just until combines. Fill greased or paper lined muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle top with chopped pecans if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. These freeze well.

5 comments:

domestika said...

Thanks for posting your 2-week menu - I know I'm not the only one who's been really curious about how you feed a family for so little! Hope you'll keep posting these menus, as well as your terrific recipes!
~Jen
p.s. the new layout looks great.

Michele said...

Jen I have several menues throughout the blog. I will create a link directly to the menus. I'm also going to give my breakfast and lunch ideas as well. Thanks for your compliments on the layout! :)

AngloMamas said...

What can I use instead of the sour cream so they won't be dairy?

AngloMamas said...

In Israel, I cannot find cornstarch or cornmeal.

Only cornflour.

So, how to make my favorite cornmeal muffins?

Any ideas?

Michele said...

AngeloMamas, you can probably use a soy based sour cream but I have not tried it so am not sure it would work the same as dairy. For the corn muffins, I would say try to find an on-line site to order the cornmeal or if you can find dried corn and have a grain mill you can grind it yourself.