Dec 14, 2005

Gravy 101



When I was growing up my grandmother always made homemade gravy. She'd use the drippings from a beef roast, some flour, some water and it always came out perfect. I love gravy, but I rarely cook beef roasts... but we love mashed potatoes and gravy with many of our meals... so what to do was the question. It took quite a bit of experimenting but I finally came up with this recipe that is extremely good and reminds me of my grandmother's gravy.

NOTE: The gravy is usually thicker than the picture reflects, I added a bit too much water today. (Note to self... don't try to make gravy with one year old wrapped around your leg.)

Brown Gravy

1 c. cold water
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. Kitchen Boquet browning liquid
1 1/2 tsp. Penzey's beef soup base (or 2 Tbsp. beef bullion granules)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Whisk 1/2 of the water and corn starch together. Add Kitchen Boquet, onion powder, salt and pepper and whisk well. Set aside. In a small sauce pan, add the rest of water and beef soup base or bullion granules. Heat to medium high, stirring with a whisk until dissolved. Slowly add corn starch mixture while continuing to whisk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir well. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Ooooooooo, that looks so good.

Andrea said...

You know, I've always considered myself a pretty good cook but have NEVER, not once, been able to make a gravy I was satisfied with. Something is always off, texture, taste, consistency. I'm going to try this and you will have the eternal grattitude of my children if I can pull this off...they love gravy...just not mine. Thanks!

Michele said...

Thanks Sara :)

Drea, it took me a while to come up with this, I hope your kids will like it. You can also use 3/4 c. water and 1/4 c. milk for a more creamy texture. Let me know how yours turns out :)

Judy Hamby said...

Thanks for the posting. Will have to try that this week. Looks fabulous!!!

LisaSD said...

It's really that easy? Who knew?!

Michele said...

LOL Lisa, it really is. I had to find a way... I am totally addicted to gravy.