Apr 10, 2006

A Special Day and A Guest

Today is our 7th Wedding Anniversary! It's really funny to think we've been together this long because I often still feel like a kid that just fell in love (**sigh**). I am very blessed to have met and gotten married to such a special person and to still be so in love. :)

Well, as I stated in a recent post I have had to cut back a bit on posting lately due to time constraints.... that includes my Monday Guest Bloggers. However, I'm pleased to announce that I have a new guest visiting us today. Meeta from What's For Lunch Honey? is here today to share with us a wonderful sounding recipe.

On another note I wanted to give a quick mention about a food blog series I was just made aware of. Ester at Foodmall is having a new series on Mouth
Watering Desserts Around the Globe
. Drop by and take a look, I submitted one of my favorite recipes. :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... here's Meeta!

-----------------------------------------

Once upon a time, some 12-13 years ago, a girl of 20 left her parents home and went to start a life of her own in a far away land called Germany. Many obstacles lay in her way and her parents were very worried if their precious daughter would withstand the hardships life
had to offer. She could not speak the strange language spoken in this far off land, she did not know anyone and much to her mother's fears, she could not cook! How would her child survive?

The young girl was clever and decided to combine learning the language with learning to cook. She spent her money on German cookbooks. Armed with a dictionary, she began to learn the simple cooking and to speak the strange language. Within a short time she was able to communicate with the baker, butcher and the vegetable guy at the market. Back at home she experimented with the ingredients she had bought to place a simple, not always successful, dish on the table.

Today at the age of 33 she has come a long way. Not only does she speak the strange language fluently, her passion for cooking has become somewhat obsessive. She started a food blog to document her recipes and to share ideas and dishes with other food bloggers. She also recently combined her passion for photography with food and became a Foodographer!

Now, she is guest blogging on Michele's blog! Has she become a Foodie?

Thank you Michele for giving me this opportunity and I would also like to thank all my other fellow food bloggers and Foodpgraphers for motivating and encouraging me through my blog journey. I did not know this was such a cult when I first started.

The recipe I chose for Michele's Guest Blogger was selected for a number of reasons.

I wanted to post a German recipe to highlight my little story. As Easter is around the corner I thought it would be a great thing to give an alternative for the usual roast & Co. that is served on tables around the world at Easter time. We normally spend our Easters over at my in-laws and my mother-in-law spends her Easters in the kitchen preparing a huge and fancy meal. She hardly gets the opportunity to enjoy the time with us. This is such a quick recipe allowing the cooks to have more time for the egg hunt and enjoying the time with family and friends. Last but not least, it is a light meal, not only for our tummies but also for the wallets!

I hope you enjoy it.

SENF EIER - Mustard Eggs

Ingredients:
8 Eggs - hard boiled (approx. 8 minutes) and cut in halves
1 yellow onion - chopped
1-2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons white flour
400 ml Vegetable fond
150 g Crème fraiche or heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup fresh dill - chopped
salt & pepper

250g rice - a mixture of plain and wild rice is great

Method:
In a heated pan melt the butter and add the chopped onions. Gently steam these until soft. Sprinkle with the flour and cook this gently, making sure it does not go brown. pour in the vegetable fond and mix well. Add the heavy cream and allow to simmer for approx. 5 minutes- Add in the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the rice according to instructions.

In the meantime add the egg halves into the mustard sauce and heat through. Sprinkle the chopped dill over the sauce. Serve this on a heated plate with the rice.

A nice side dish to this is a big green salad with a light vinaigrette.


For more on this recipe and some pictures visit my blog What's for lunch, Honey?

4 comments:

Vaishali said...

Hi Michele, Hi Meeta,
I am not a big fan of eggs. Neither of mustard. But I enjoyed the write-up all the same. Thanks for sharing a part of your life with us, Meeta. You know, sometimes I hate the anonymity in the blogosphere. What say you?

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Michele! As cliche as it sounds, time really flies when you're having fun. Hope you and hubby have a wonderful day!

Tammy

Michele said...

Hi Vaishali and Tammy, thanks for dropping by. Tammy, thanks for the well wishes, we went to dinner tonight and had a very nice day. :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Meeta, Michele - Lovely post, love 'guest poster'!