Jul 8, 2005

Dinner and recipe ideas

Tonight's dinner came out really well. I made a hash with gravy, a pretty basic recipe I came up with but one of my family's favorites.

Hash With Gravy

6 potatoes, cubes
1 lb. ground beef
1 bell pepper, diced
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

for the gravy

2 c. water
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 tsp. beef bullion granules
1/2 tsp browning sauce
1/2 tsp Worshteshire sauce

Brown potatoes, ground beef, bell pepper and spices in a skillet over medium-high heat. Turn down to medium and cover so potatoes will fully soften. While meal cooks, prepare gravy. In a saucepan add water and corn starch. DO NOT TURN ON HEAT YET. Whisk well until corn starch dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and whisk well. Turn heat on to high. Whisk constantly until gravy starts to bubble thicken. Remove from heat and stir well.

Check potatoes and ground beef and stir often until fully cooked. When done remove from heat and stir in gravy.

I wanted to make ice cream for the kids tomorrow but don't really have all the ingredients needed. So, as not to make another trip to the grocery store I thought I'd improvise and create a sherbet recipe. I feel this one will work well although I have not tried it yet. I made it up based on several recipes I looked at. Will see how it turns out.

Fruity Sherbet

1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 pkg. Kool-Aid (lemon, mango, orange, tangerine, strawberry)
1/3 pkg. gelatin
1 large can crushed pineapple

Blend ingredients in blender then transfer to ice cream freezer and freeze as directed.

No comments: