Dec 10, 2006

The BEST Smoked Turkey

Our whole family was really sick over Thanksgiving so our "feast"( as my kids like to call it), had to be postponed. We finally had our turkey dinner this weekend and it was wonderful! My mother-in-law told me how to make the BEST smoked turkey! This recipe is a variation of hers and I don't think she would mind me sharing it with all of you. It is delicious!

The BEST Smoked Turkey

(I always use a Butterball turkey and cook it according to the directions that come with it.)

After thawing your turkey, remove all the gizzards, giblets, etc. and rub it with butter or margarine on the outside. Season it well inside and out. I used Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub to season mine. (Even though this seasoning is intended for beef, it is GREAT on turkey). Place your turkey in a large bowl, roasting pan or stock pot. Submerge it half way in a mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 milk and about 1/2 a bottle of liquid smoke. Allow it to set in this mixture in your refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove the container from your fridge and then turn your turkey over. Allow it to soak for 24 more hours. Remove the turkey from the soaking liquid and make sure to pour all the liquid out from the cavity. Season the turkey again inside and out. I used Seasoned salt this time and a little sage. Stuff the cavity with a couple carrots, a couple stalks of celery and an onion (cut them all into large chunks). Roast the turkey according to the directions that came along in the packaging. Allow the turkey to rest about 15 - 20 minutes before slicing. It is delicious!

3 comments:

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Liquid Smoke? Michele, how could you?

Next time you want a smoked turkey, duck, chicken or goose, drop me a line!

Sara said...

It does sound a bit odd, but I would give this a try.

Michele said...

Robert, you crack me up! Remember, I am no BBQ guru like you are :) I know this is not an *authentic* smoked turkey but it is soooooo good!

Sara, it really is great, give it a try!