Jan 14, 2006

Mango Bars


I was looking for recipes to make for church on Sunday since we bring treats with us to share with everyone. I decided this week to make French Breakfast Muffins but wanted something else to bring as well. I found a recipe for Apple Butter Bars on-line and decided to modify it a bit for the ingredients I had on hand. These turned out really crumbly on top but cut easily. I think they will be a hit!

Mango Bars
(modified from Food Down Under)

3/4 c. shortning
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. mango sauce (purchased at Trader Joe's)

In a medium bowl, cream shortning and brown sugar. In a second bowl, stir together flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Add to creamed mixture and stir just to combine. In a greased 9- by 9-inch pan, press in half of the batter. Cover with the mango sauce. Top with remaining batter and press down firmly. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into bars.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

That looks like a recipe I can adapt and use with different sauces. Wonderful. Funny how you and I both posted whole grain bar recipes the same day!

I just tagged you for a meme. Have fun!

Michele said...

Great minds think alike huh? :) Your recipe looks great too! Thanks for the tag, I will post the replies tomorrow.