Jan 17, 2006

ARF Tuesdays #3


I noticed that one of the ARF's on Sweetnick's list for ARF (Antioxidant Rich Foods) Tuesdays was Pinto Beans. One word from me on that - YUM! In fact I have a pot of on the stove right now and they smell so good, it's hard to wait.

I have to admit, among all the recipes I prepare, plan to prepare or just plain love to eat, pinto beans is right at the top. I love them for their flavor and versatility. I usually just make them with turkey bacon and salt for flavor, and we eat them with collard greens and corn bread. You can find that recipe right here. But I also love to make refried beans, bean soup, bean dip and bean burritos. I will be posting all of those recipes soon so stay tuned.

6 comments:

YouGuysKnow said...

I love beans. Any beans. And speaking of ARF's (i never heard that acronym before - funny!) I just tried this new juice from Trader Joe's: 100% Aronia Berry Juice. It supposedly has antioxidants many times greater than even pomegranate. It is VERY intense in color and flavor - probably best to mix it with other juices. Anyway, I like your blog and will be back!

Michele said...

Thanks for visiting EP! I am very interested in finding out more about the Aronia juice, my hubby and I are really into the "dark juices" like blueberry, pomegranete and Acai. I will have to check TJ's next time I go. Thanks for the info. Please do visit me again :)

Dawna said...

Hi Michele - isn't it great how much variation we can get out of the simple bean? I'm always amazed how many different kinds of beans we eat at my house! I'll have to try your recipe for pintos - I'll probably add a little onion, though. It looks great!

Michele said...

Dawna, I totally agree! Beans are wonderful... and good for you, how often can you find food like that? :) I agree about the onion too but my hubby is a purist... he'd actually prefer me cook them with a ham hock but that is SO not good for us, LOL!

StaceyBelle said...

i love pinto beans. i love corn bread. I love collard greens. okay, i love southern food. today at work i was caught declaring, that's right! i love dairy AND pork!

RE commenters: Naked juice company make Acai juices. They're pretty good. currants have just come out in the US and have been popular in Euro for a while. they are also higher than pomegranates in antioxidants... and they're so good hand-picked right off the bush!

Michele said...

LOL Stacey :) I love Southern food too (can't you tell?) I will have to look for that juice, I have seen naked juice all over and have not see the acai. Thanks for the tip!