Jan 26, 2006

Homemade Bisquick

When I was growing up we always made pancakes on Saturday mornings. My mom used Bisquick to make them and they were always so good! I've been trying to use up some odds and ends from my cabinets that I rarely use like shortning , lemon curd and packets of unflavored gelatin. I figured that a homemade version Bisquick would be great for the shortning since my kids love pancakes just as much as I do. I have recipes in mind for the lemon curd and gelatin too so keep checking back, I'll be posting those soon.

Homemade Bisquick

4 c. flour
1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. Non-fat dry milk powder
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. Crisco trans-fat free shortning
(you can use any shortning you'd like but this is the kind I prefer)

Combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt in a very large bowl. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Store in tightly closed covered container in a cool place. Makes about 5 cups.

No comments: