Jan 19, 2008

Chicken With Tomato Rice Pilaf

I recently got a few new cookbooks that contain some really amazing recipes. I'm hoping to try several over the next few weeks and will post the recipes here.

Tonight I made a dish called Chicken With Tomato Rice Pilaf from Claudia Roden's Arabesque. This cookbook contains recipes from Morocco, Lebanon and Turkey. There are many beautiful photographs throughout the book as well. It would make a beautiful coffee table book because the cover is so pretty. I really enjoyed reading this book because not only is it a cook book, it also contains a wealth of information about the countries from which the recipes hail. This is the first recipe I have tried from this book and it is wonderful! We had it with buttered peas, homemade pitas and hummus.



Chicken With Tomato Rice Pilaf
(Adapted from Arabesque by Cladia Roden)

(for the rice)
1 1/2 c. long grain rice
1 (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 tsp. chicken bullion powder
2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper
1/2 stick butter, diced

(for the chicken)
4 boneless, skinless chicken pieces
1 Tbsp. light olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
dried parsley


Start by making the rice. Blend tomatoes in blender then add enough water to make 2 2/3 cups. Pour the tomato puree into a pot along with the bullion, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes or until rice is fluffy. Add more water if needed towards the end of cooking and simmer a few more minutes. Stir in butter and set aside. For the chicken, cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Heat oil and butter in a skillet then add chicken and cook 6 - 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn pieces over once during cooking. Serve chicken over the rice sprinkled with parsley.

10 comments:

G. said...

I found your blog via a friend of mine. I love it. You have great recipes and tips. I've put you in my blogroll. I've tried several of your recipes. The whole wheat flax bread is great. I look forward to more! Thanks.

Michele said...

Thanks so much for your nice compliment G. We love the Whole Wheat Flaxseed bread too, it is one of those breads that even children love and they will eat it just as well as the store bought stuff. :0)

Ray Gratzner said...

I am the first time at your blog and I like it. the recipe is wonderful and I think it is a healthy food too.

Chef Erik said...

Looks great, I love adding tomato to my pilaf, sometime I add anchovies, sound wierd but it's very good, gives it a nutty flavor.

Michele said...

I think anchovies sounds interesting. But I can be weird like that too, LOL!

Anonymous said...

I like rice. You are very creative in this one. I am going to cook this.

Anonymous said...

I made your Soft Fluffy White Bread following the recipe exactly The loaf felt light and soft but when I cut into it, it was dampish and chewy. I had this happen on another "soft" recipe as well. Seems as if my breads of all kinds always turn out chewy. What is causing this?

Michele said...

If your bread is turning out chewy either you are not using enough flour or you are not baking it long enough. It is quite possible that you are in a more damp climate that I am and need to use more flour. Keep an eye on the dough as it is mixing and see if it looks too wet. If so, add more flour by the tablespoon until it looks nice and smooth and not sticky but not too dry. Bread baking takes some practice but after a while you know by the look of the dough if it is right. Hope this helps!

Jeani Antique Rings said...

It seem yummy....I would like to try this recipe

Leslie Porter said...

This is getting cooked tomorrow night. I would like to link to it on my blog also so my family and friends can see. Thanks so much for an awesome recipe, I am following you!