Sep 27, 2005

Boston Baked Beans

With cooler weather soon to come I'm thinking of stocking my freezer with some nice comfort foods. One of my favorite recipes is for Boston Baked Beans. It's a recipe I adapted from one I found on Martha Stewart's website. It is so good and easy to make in the crock pot. This recipe makes a lot so I freeze the leftovers. My family loves these beans with hot dogs and rice. YUM!


Boston Baked Beans

Serves 8 to 10

2 pounds dried pinto or navy beans
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large onion, minced
dash ground cloves
12 ounces salt pork
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Sort and rinse beans. Boil salt pork in water for about 10 minutes to render some of the fat, drain and place in crock pot. Add beans. Combine remaining ingredients and add to crock pot. If necessary, add enough water to cover beans by 1/2 inch. Set on low and cook 8 to 12 hours. For the last 50 to 60 minutes of cooking, uncover beans, and, using tongs or a long fork, pull the pork to the surface. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve.

No comments: