Aug 1, 2005

A Well Stocked Pantry

One of the things I cannot stress enough to people who want to save on their grocery bill on a weekly basis is to keep your kitchen well stocked. About once every 6 months my husband and I add an extra $50 to the grocery budget. This money is used to stock up.

Here is a list of items I suggest that every frugal household should have on hand.

  • A variety of pasta
  • A variety of dry beans
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Corn meal
  • Oatmeal (old fashioned or quick oats in a large canister, not the single serve packets)
  • A wide variety of herbs and spices
  • Canned and frozen vegetables
  • Flavorings for baking such as vanilla and almond extract
  • Powdered milk
  • Pudding and Jello mixes
  • Ramen Noodles and boxed maccaroni and cheese
  • Condiments such as mayonaise, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce and hot sauce
  • Pickles, olives, salsa and relish
  • Tomato and pasta sauce
  • Dry yeast
  • Baking powder and baking soda
  • Potatos, garlic and onions

The following items I always stock up on when they are on sale.

  • Milk, Cheese, Bread and Meat - whatever I can fit in the freezer
  • Frozen vegetables
  • Canned goods
  • Specialty items
  • Goodies for the kids - I don't buy much convenience food but if it is on sale for a very good price I will buy things that the kids really enjoy.

If you keep your pantry well stocked then grocery shopping will be quicker, easier and much less expensive over all.

No comments: