Dec 27, 2007
VERY surprised to say the least! My amazingly sweet husband ordered this for me for Christmas. It is such a wonderful machine! I had the chance to use is for the first time yesterday and so far I have made pie crusts, corn bread and THE best buttermilk pancakes, all with terrific results! Not to mention I was able to make double batches of all of these without worrying about overfilling the bowl!
This mixer is a Kitchenaid Professional 5 Plus. If you are considering buying one I would highly suggest this model. It has a 5 quart bowl which can mix up to 12 cups of flour (yes, you read that right, TWELVE cups!) The motor is 450 watts and it comes with the spiral dough hook as opposed to the 'C' hook that most of the Kitchenaids come with. The spiral hook is much better at mixing large quantities of heavy dough such as bread dough.
Here's the recipe for the buttermilk pancakes, they are SO GOOD! I made a double batch so we now have breakfast in that freezer that will last a couple of weeks :0)
(adapted from The Joy of Cooking)
3 c. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
3 c. buttermilk
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Add buttermilk and eggs. Mix well. Slowly add butter and blend in well. Stir in vanilla. Heat griddle or skillet to medium-high and pour pancakes by the 1/3 cup full. Allow to cook until bubbles form and edges look dry. Flip then cook until the center springs back when pressed down. Serve hot with your favorite pancake toppings. Makes about 18 pancakes.
Dec 22, 2007
Since I probably won't get a chance to be on-line over the next several days, I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry and Blessed Christmas. We are busy getting ready here and don't have any new recipes to share this year. I am using many of my favorite tried and true Christmas favorites. I do have a new recipe I will be sharing soon after Christmas so stay tuned for that. While I was looking up some of my favorite blogs today I found a fun Christmas Meme over at Chef Paz's blog so thought I would post that today. If you would like, post your own answers on your blog and tag some of you blogging friends. Have a safe holiday and let's not forget the reason for Christmas!
1. Wrapping or gift bags? Wrapping paper! It's more fun to open!
2. Real or artificial tree? I prefer real for the wonderful smeel but we usually have artificial.
3. When do you put up the tree? It all depends. This year we still haven't put up the tree yet!
4. When do you take the tree down? By the end of January usually.
5. Do you like eggnog? Love it!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Pretty baby dolls with lots of clothes to change them into.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, that is our main Christmas decor.
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Can't think kof one, I always appreciate gifts!
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Postal mail.
10. Favorite Christmas movie? The Charlie Brown Christmas Special (Does that count as a movie?)
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually in December.
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cookies!
13. Clear lights or colored? Colored, and lots of them!
14. Favorite Christmas song? Silent Night.
15. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? STAY HOME!
16. Can you name all of Santas reindeer? Dancer, Prancer.... Rudolph.... uh... I know there are more but don't know their names!
17. Angel or star on the top of your tree? I'd prefer and angel but right now we have a star.
18. Open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Depends on the year, hubby often works on Christmas.
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People who forget Christmas is about Jesus, not Santa and gifts and spending lots of money.
20. What do you leave for Santa? Nothing. We celebrate Jesus not Santa.
21. Least favorite holiday song? Can't think of one.
22. Specific theme or color? Celebrate Jesus! That is always our theme.
23. Favorite ornament? A pretty colorful silk fish my mom bought in California when I was a child, it is so pretty!
Dec 10, 2007
Mothering From Day To Day tagged me first so here goes...
1. I have been married for 8.5 years.
2. I have an college degree in General Studies.
3. I have no pets!
4. I love to read!
5. I am addicted to cooking and quilting.
6. My favorite dessert is anything with chocolate.
7. I rarely go on summer vacation but I can't wait to take my kids to Disneyland!
The second meme tag comes from Moomettesgram's Musings.
Here are my answers...
1. My favorite foods are anything ethnic. I love bold flavors and brightly colored foods that are fun!
2. The things I miss most are having time ALONE with my dear hubby (as in before our lovely babies were born) and having more spare time to quilt (also B.K. (before kids)). I love my kids but time is something I often long for :)
3. Some places I have never been to are Europe, Africa and Australia. I would love to visit them all some day.
4. Some favorite places I have been to are Cancun Mexico, Canada, California and Vermont.
5. My unluckiest moments... I long believe in luck, but one of my saddest moments was when I moved away from home when I got married because I am very close to my family and I really missed them.
6. My luckiest moments... Well, again, I don't believe in "luck" so I will tell you my most blessed moments. Meeting my husband, the birth of each of my children and the most blessed moment of all was when I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior.
7. Now that I'm older... I am MUCH wiser than in my younger days and I praise God daily for blessing me with His grace!
I don't have any particular person in mind to tag, so if you are reading this consider yourself tagged! Post your replies on your blog and link back to me then leave a comment and let me know that you answered the questions. Tag as many of your blogging pals as your like and let's keep the meme moving! :)