Jun 8, 2006

Oatmeal Raisin Scones


I adapted this recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette. These scones are very heavy and dense and are great for breakfast with honey on top.

Oatmeal Raisin Scones

1 1/2 c flour
1 c uncooked oatmeal
1/4 c. flax seed meal (optional)
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c softened margarine
1/2 c rasins
3/4 c sour milk (milk with 2 tsp vinegar)
1 egg, beaten



Instructions

1. Preaheat oven to 400. Mix dry ingredients; cut in margarine and rasins.
2. Stir in enough sour milk just to moisten. Divide dough in half.
3. Flour hands and pat dough into 2 circles on a greased cookie sheet about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Cut into quarters . Bake for 10 minutes. Brush on egg and then bake until golden brown.
5. Serve with honey, margarine, or jam.

5 comments:

Sara said...

That is a very good breakfast idea - thanks!

Deetsa said...

Mmm... I can image these with a bit of butter and honey. Yum.

Tag! Come see my site to see the 5 meme with which you've been tagged.

Michele said...

Sara, they are great, I think you will love them!

Narissa, thanks for the tag, I love memes :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! This does look like something good for breakfast! I likey!

Paz

Michele said...

Paz, they were so good, let me know if you try them.